Ely & District Progressives

Local people attempting to shake up local politics

Register to vote

black-cross-in-voting-box-248x300You can’t vote if you’re not registered. It’s quick and easy to check online at gov.uk/register-to-vote

By post

If you are not sure you’ll be able to vote in person you can ask for a postal vote

By proxy

If you want someone to vote on your behalf then you can apply for a proxy vote

In an emergency if you can’t make it to vote then you can apply for a proxy vote up to 5pm on Election Day but this must be something that you weren’t aware of before the normal proxy vote deadline.

If you are a student

You can register to vote at both your home and college addresses, as long as you only vote once.

If you are homeless or have no permanent address

If you are homeless or have no permanent address you can still vote. You must fill out a form called the ‘Declaration of local connection form’ and send it to East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely CB7 4EE.

You can download the form from the council’s website.

The national charity for homeless people, Crisis has lots of useful information on their website. Find out more here.

If you need to stay anonymous

Some people who have experienced domestic abuse might be worried about voting because they are concerned their details might be traced by the perpetrator. Following a campaign and work by Women’s Aid and the Electoral Commission they can now vote anonymously.

Download the required form from the council’s website and return it to them.

Women’s Aid and the Electoral Commission also have a useful information leaflet on voting anonymously.

More information

All of this information (and more) can be found on the council’s register to vote web page.